Local educators and businesses were recently honored at the annual Pillars of Strength/Crystal Apple Awards presented by the Kelso-Longview Chamber of Commerce. Longview Public Schools award winners were Dr. Elizabeth West (Director of Special Education), Administrator of the Year; JD Ott (R.A. Long), Teacher of the Year; and Gail Wells (Monticello Middle School), Lifetime Achievement Award.
The 2019 nominees included secretary Jeanne Kerns (Discovery); teacher Diondra Beck (Mark Morris); teachers Mike Fajardo, Gerri Schooling, and Jennifer Godinho-Hefley, and paraeducator Christy Alumbaugh (R.A. Long); principal Scott Merzoian (Monticello); teacher Patricia Donovan-Hopkins (Columbia Valley Gardens); principal Noma Hudson and liaison Alisa Shipley (Kessler); […]
At the April 8, 2019 school board meeting, the board unanimously approved the capital facilities bond proposal totaling $115 million. Projects in this proposal will touch every school and include:
- Mint Valley Elementary School replacement – $43 million
- Northlake Elementary School replacement – $43 million
- Safety and Security upgrades for all schools – $4.2 million
- Career Technical/Vocational upgrades at R.A. Long and Mark Morris high schools – $8.4 million
- Memorial Stadium upgrades – $7 million
- Large facility repair projects – $9.4 million
Find out more here.
The 20th Avenue bridge at Lake Sacajawea will be closed from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. to vehicle traffic Thursday for a routine inspection, according to a City of Longview press release
The east sidewalk on the bridge and the paths around the lake will remain open to pedestrians, according to the city, but traffic will be re-routed and drivers are encouraged to use another route to avoid the lake during the inspection.